Ensuring Our Safety
We take personal safety very seriously. Please note:
- Doors that access fitness areas and the Youth Lobby are locked. Members and childcare parents are granted access. Due to recent school tragedies, our accredited childcare and downtown licensed school-age programs are also locked for children’s safety.
- We have 20 cameras located throughout the YMCA building to monitor activities.
- We scan our membership database twice a year for certain criminal offenses.
- The Y’s residential program has 44 efficiency studios for individuals. All residential applicants MUST pass CORI and SORI checks and meet income eligibility guidelines. Berkshire Housing (413-499-1630 x110) manages the residential program.
- In 2011, we installed lighting on Melville Street to improve visibility.
- The Y has the designation of a Drug-Free School Zone imposing stricter penalties for certain offenses.
- An employee is available at the Welcome Center 24 hours a day.
- Our staff is certified and/or trained in topics such as CPR, First Aid, child abuse prevention, sexual harassment prevention.
- Our changing rooms offer many lockers to secure your belongings. Bring your own lock or borrow one from the Welcome Center.