Scholarship applications are due June 2, 2017.
Camp Sumner: At Berkshire Community College, Pittsfield
For the Y’s Camp Abenaki: At Windsor Lake, North Adams, click here
For the Y’s Camp Green Mountain (NEW!): At Bennington Recreation Center, Bennington, VT, click here
Our camps develop the necessary building blocks for youth development by providing a safe, creative learning environment for young people to feel empowered, build self-esteem, explore personal interests, develop interpersonal skills and make lasting friendships and memories.
- One-week sessions: July 3-Aug. 25, 2017, Mon–Fri, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. No camp July 4
- Cost: $168/one-week session. Costs vary per camp.
Youth (up to 12 years): $42/year. Teen (13-19 years): $10/month.
- For children ages 5 years to entering 9th grade
- At Berkshire Community College’s Paterson Field House
- Contact: Christy, 413-499-7650 x121, email@example.com
- When camp begins, phone: 413-236-1675, 7 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
Camp activities: STEAM, Swim & SPARK!
Camp Sumner will offer curriculum in STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) and be held twice each week! Activities include studying fossils, nature, weather, astronomy, dance, music and talent shows! Our LIT campers will lead an environmental-based Community Outreach Project with the support of the younger camp groups. Also, weekly Environmental Study sessions, led by a BCC Instructor, challenge campers to find, identify and study native plants and reptiles.
- Character development focusing on the Y’s Core Values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility
- Swim lessons (grades K-6)
- Recreational swim
- Field, group games
- Arts and crafts
- SPARK: Sports, Play & Active Recreation for Kids
- Fitness Classes
- Team building
- Traditional sports
- Field trips in/around Berkshire County (grades 3+) and/or on-site visitors/educators
North Adams and Pittsfield Public Schools provide free lunches to all campers. Campers may choose to bring a lunch from home if they prefer. Parents must provide snack.
- Sneakers must be worn. Flip flops are permitted for swim
- Water bottle. No glass bottles
- Sunscreen/Bug spray
- Swimsuit and towel
- Buckaroos (Entering K, must be 5 years old) & Pioneers (Entering 1st grade): Our youngest children begin the camp experience with the excitement of trying new things! Daily schedules provide a balance between active and quiet play and group and individual activities.
- Explorers (Entering 2nd grade):Our more experienced campers will enjoy new challenges and new excitement. We emphasize increased self-confidence, encouraging others, responsibility and team building.
- Voyagers (Entering 3rd grade) & Trailblazers (Entering 4th grade): As the child grows so will his camp experience. Emphasis in this unit is on increased self-confidence, encouraging others, responsibility and team building. Campers may also choose their activities in the mornings and the afternoons.
- Pathfinders (Entering 5th-6th grades): Our most experienced campers will take leadership programs and specialized activities that are designed to be progressive and challenging, as well as fun and entertaining. As the oldest unit, campers may choose their morning and afternoon activities.
- Camp Sumner only: Leaders in Training (LIT) (Entering 7th-9th grades): LIT campers will have the opportunity to work side-by-side with experienced counselors. They enjoy the schedule of the traditional campers with nature, arts and crafts, sports and more. LIT campers will also lead a Community Outreach Project that connects with the environment. These campers learn how to become a counselor while also developing their leadership and team building skills that they will value throughout their lifetime.
ABOUT THE CAMP
The YMCA is committed to recruiting and developing an outstanding group of counselors and directors that are dedicated to providing the best possible camp experience. Many of our staff members are teachers and college students who have been Camp participants. The staff participates in extensive training, and our lifeguards are certified. For your child’s health and safety, our camps are licensed by their local city’s departments of health. All staff members are certified in First Aid and CPR, as well as CORI checked. In addition, the health care administrator is on-site daily. Policies and procedures are available in the camp office.
The Berkshire Family YMCA offers financial assistance for children to participate in summer camp. You must meet our eligibility guidelines. Eligibility is based on household size and income which is then given on a first-come, first-serve basis to qualified families. Applications for financial scholarships can be found at here, as well as at our Welcome Centers. The Y reserves the right to deny or discontinue service at any time. Vouchers are also accepted.
Scholarship applications MUST be received no later than June 2.
- Families must work or reside in the Y service area.
- Assistance will be granted on financial need for low income on a first-come first-serve basis.
- Financial assistance is for the current camp year only and includes the cost of an annual membership.
- Prior account balances must be paid in full before applying.
How to apply
- Applications must be filled out completely.
- Federal tax form or one month of current pay stubs or other form of income (SSI, food stamps, etc.) must be submitted.
- Copies of documentation must be provided.
- A registration fee of $25 is required for NEW registrants in order to process an application. This is a non-refundable deposit if you decide not to attend the camp.
- A deposit is also required for each week of camp upon enrollment and is calculated based on the scholarship award.
- Applicants will be notified by mail of their award.
- All campers must have a Berkshire Family YMCA membership. If your child is already a member, then his/her membership must not expire until after the completion of the desired camp sessions or a membership renewal is necessary. All YMCA school-age participants have a free membership. Youth (up through 12 years old) membership: $42/year. Teen (13-19 years old) membership: $10/month.
- Make all checks payable to the Berkshire Family YMCA, 292 North Street, Pittsfield, MA 01201 in the amount of the required deposit and membership fee.
- Camp fees must be paid in full the Friday before the week of camp. Put your child’s name on the check.
- If a participant cancels an enrollment prior to the start, the Y will issue a refund minus the $25 non-refundable deposit. After the program has met twice, no credits or refunds will be issued.
- There will be a fee of $1 per minute for children who are picked up after 5:30 p.m. Please note that after-camp care ends promptly at 5:30 p.m.
- Make all payments at the YMCA only, not at Camp.
SUBMIT WITH REGISTRATION FORM
- Completed registration form with emergency contacts and transportation sections filled out.
- Proof of medical physical and immunizations by licensed physician within 12 months preceding start of camp.
- $25/week deposit and membership fee, if applicable.