Scholarship applications are due June 2, 2017.
Camp Green Mountain: At Bennington Recreation Center, Bennington, VT
For the Y’s Camp Abenaki: At Windsor Lake, North Adams, click here
For the Y’s Camp Sumner: At Berkshire Community College, Pittsfield, click here.
Our camps develop the necessary building blocks for youth development by providing a safe, creative learning environment for young people to feel empowered, build self-esteem, explore personal interests, develop interpersonal skills and make lasting friendships and memories.
- One-week sessions: July 3-Aug. 18, 2017, Mon–Fri, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. No camp July 4
- Cost: $70/one-week session and includes before- and after-camp care. We thank the Town of Bennington as they have committed to subsidizing $29 for each one-week session for each child this summer, reducing the original cost from $99! Costs vary per camp.
- For children entering 1st-9th grades
- At Bennington Recreation Center, Bennington, VT
- Contact: 413-499-7650
CAMP ACTIVITIES: STEAM, SWIM & SPARK!
Camp Green Mountain will offer curriculum in STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math). Activities include studying fossils, nature, weather, astronomy, dance, music and talent shows! YMCA counselors will provide hands-on lessons focusing on science experiments creating volcanoes, galaxies in a bottle, exploring engineering using circuit boards, Legos and tower building with environmental resources. LIT campers will lead an environmental-based Community Outreach Project with the support of the younger camp groups.
- Character development focusing on the Y’s Core Values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility
- Free swim time
- Recreational swim
- Field, group games
- Arts and crafts
- Frisbee Golf
- SPARK: Sports, Play & Active Recreation for Kids
- Team building
- Traditional sports
- Field trips to Willow Park
- Sneakers must be worn. Flip flops are permitted for swim
- Water bottle. No glass bottles
- Sunscreen/Bug spray
- Swimsuit and towel
- Pioneers (Entering 1st grade): Our youngest children begin the camp experience with the excitement of trying new things! Daily schedules provide a balance between active and quiet play and group and individual activities.
- Explorers (Entering 2nd grade):Our more experienced campers will enjoy new challenges and new excitement. We emphasize increased self-confidence, encouraging others, responsibility and team building.
- Voyagers (Entering 3rd grade) & Trailblazers (Entering 4th grade): As the child grows so will his camp experience. Emphasis in this unit is on increased self-confidence, encouraging others, responsibility and team building. Campers may also choose their activities in the mornings and the afternoons.
- Pathfinders (Entering 5th-6th grades): Our most experienced campers will take leadership programs and specialized activities that are designed to be progressive and challenging, as well as fun and entertaining. As the oldest unit, campers may choose their morning and afternoon activities.
- Leaders in Training (LIT) (Entering 7th-9th grades): LIT campers will have the opportunity to work side-by-side with experienced counselors. They enjoy the schedule of the traditional campers with nature, arts and crafts, sports and more. LIT campers will also lead a Community Outreach Project that connects with the environment. These campers learn how to become a counselor while also developing their leadership and team building skills that they will value throughout their lifetime.
ABOUT THE CAMP
The YMCA is committed to recruiting and developing an outstanding group of counselors and directors that are dedicated to providing the best possible camp experience. Many of our staff members are teachers and college students who have been Camp participants. The staff participates in extensive training, and our lifeguards are certified. All staff members are certified in First Aid and CPR, as well as CORI checked. In addition, the health care administrator is on-site daily. Policies and procedures are available in the camp office.
The Berkshire Family YMCA offers financial assistance for children to participate in summer camp. You must meet our eligibility guidelines. Eligibility is based on household size and income which is then given on a first-come, first-serve basis to qualified families. Applications for financial scholarships can be found at here, as well as at our Welcome Centers. The Y reserves the right to deny or discontinue service at any time. Vouchers are also accepted.
Scholarship applications MUST be received no later than June 2.
- Families must work or reside in the Y service area.
- Assistance will be granted on financial need for low income on a first-come first-serve basis.
- Financial assistance is for the current camp year only.
- Prior account balances must be paid in full before applying.
How to apply
- Applications must be filled out completely.
- Federal tax form or one month of current pay stubs or other form of income (SSI, food stamps, etc.) must be submitted.
- Copies of documentation must be provided.
- A registration fee of $25 is required for NEW registrants in order to process an application. This is a non-refundable deposit if you decide not to attend the camp.
- A deposit is also required for each week of camp upon enrollment and is calculated based on the scholarship award.
- Applicants will be notified by mail of their award.
- Make all checks payable to the Berkshire Family YMCA, 292 North Street, Pittsfield, MA 01201 in the amount of the required deposit.
- Camp fees must be paid in full the Friday before the week of camp. Put your child’s name on the check.
- If a participant cancels an enrollment prior to the start, the Y will issue a refund minus the $25 non-refundable deposit. After the program has met twice, no credits or refunds will be issued.
- There will be a fee of $1 per minute for children who are picked up after 4:45 p.m. or after 5:30 p.m. if your child is in our after-camp care.
- Make all payments at the YMCA only, not at Camp.
SUBMIT WITH REGISTRATION FORM
- Completed registration form with emergency contacts and transportation sections filled out.
- Proof of medical physical and immunizations by licensed physician within 12 months preceding start of camp.
- $25/week deposit.